Monday 31 December 2012

Last day of 2012, looking forward to 2013

Over the Christmas holidays I've made a bit of progress with regards to the design of my "ROV to be", so here's a screenshot of my efforts so far.


As you can see it's a vectored (horizontal thrusters) open frame design with two vertical thrusters and a few other major assemblies, including the thrusters, the frame, an acrylic tube at the front containing the camera and LED lights (eventually) and a junction box in the middle containing the batteries etc.

I haven't machined syntactic foam before so that should be pretty interesting when I eventually get around to that, probably towards the end of the build.

I'm still a bit undecided at the moment regarding how to compensate the ROV with oil, as apart from the acrylic tube everything is going to be oil filled, containing pressure tolerant electronics and batteries.

I received a price to 3D print the kort nozzle and it was rather more than I expected at about £100 for one! So i'll probably end up using my CNC machine to produce something eventually, unless I can find a better price somewhere else.

All the best for 2013 and hopefully i'll be a bit closer to producing a real ROV by this time next year (instead of just a 3D drawing) now I'm pretty happy with my thruster design.

No comments:

Post a Comment